WordPress comes with a wonderful and easy to use menus functionality, letting you quickly create a custom menu and place it in your theme’s supported menu areas or even in a widgetized area with the menus widget. By default WordPress, and our themes, will start by adding all of your pages to the default navigation menu. You can then customize your menu in all our themes by going to Appearance > Menus.
To setup a new menu, please follow the steps below. Its best to already have your pages created, even if they are blank pages.
- Navigate to Apperance > Menus page
- Click the “+” icon to make a new menu. Enter the name then hit Create Menu
- To add a menu item, you can easily select one of your already made pages on the left hand side and click Add to Menu
- You can also add menu items by entering a custom name and custom link into the Custom Links box.
- You can manage your menus using the drag and drop functionality. To create a dropdown menu, simply drag a menu item below and slightly to the right of another menu item and it will lock into place and create a dropdown section.
- Once its all done, make sure you click the Save button.
Here’s a general overview of a menu we’ve created for our theme: